Monday, November 27, 2006

"Hold the elevator!"


I finally got back into watching L&C. In the last few days, I finished The Phoenix and also watched Top Copy and Return of the Prankster.

Phoenix -- I hate to say it, since this episode is this pivotal, WAFFY, romantic fest o' fun, but I am not particularly fond of it as a whole. And every time I watch it, I still remember what I was thinking when it first aired -- L&C want to go to a Pearl Jam concert? They're too old to go to Pearl Jam concerts! At least that's what I thought when I was 14 and they were 28. Now I'm 26 and they're 28 and it still feels weird to me. Not that they're too old. Just that neither of them seem the type to go to a rock concert. A string quartet concert, sure. Maybe part of the joke is that they had no idea what they were getting into, and it was probably good Jimmy went instead. The thought of L&C going through the mosh pit is a BIT scary.

One of those things you sort of look back on after watching the whole series (and thus having a new perspective) is the "almost first date" scene. It's great because you see they're both attracted to each other. It's funny because Lois gets food poisoning. Just the first of a million crazy/bad things that will happen to them in the course of their relationship.

Top Copy -- I like the episode a lot, except for one thing that almost ruins it for me -- Rolfe. What the f is his deal? If I had a list of the 10 most annoying characters on L&C, he'd definitely be on it. Constance from IOG would be too. I'll have to get back to you on the other eight.

I like the plot, I like L&C's chemistry, Lois's continued jealousy over Mayson, Clark in black. Mmmmhmmm.

Return of the Prankster -- Although the "freezing device" concept doesn't really work for me (there are a few continuity/believeability problems) I love, love, love how Lois babbles in this episode. She goes off on major tangents twice, once in front of Clark and once in front of Superman, and both times he's got this omg I love you little smile on his face and you just want him to start making out with her right there. Come on, you guys. Stop with this "almost-dating" nonsense and start pouncing.

I also love Bronson Pinchot and think this is some of his best work.

And I know I've seen it 2582958 times, but this last time watching it, I FINALLY got that Griffin's father is emotionally abusive to Kyle, and that's why Kyle is that way to Victor. In the scene where the keys fall in the paint, I always thought both Kyle and Mr. Griffin were saying "You idiot!" to Victor, but no... Mr. Griffin's saying it to Kyle, while Kyle says it to Victor. Interesting dynamic there. It won't be the last time we see a screwed-up child with bad parental relations becoming a villain on this show.

Next up -- Lucky Leon. KISSING YAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment